Monday, December 3, 2012

Saturday At My Parents' House

Like all other Saturdays (used to be Friday but my husband had a schedule change) we drive the 75 miles to see my parents.

This Saturday we had my moms stir fry.


Mom uses paper plates to save on dishes while we're there.

My mom used her general recipe that's in the poverty cookbook for beginners. But Saturday she used a whole chicken breast, a fresh onion, and a bag of frozen stir fry vegetables.

Also Since my baby's birthday was the 27th we celebrated with my parents Saturday by making the Chocolate Cake from the poverty cookbook for beginners.

Mom found a recipe for twinkie filling so we thought we'd try it. If you find one you're self (I don't have it otherwise I'd link it) make sure you use unsalted butter because we didn't since we didn't have any. It still came out good, but it'd have been better. Also in my opinion a whole stick of butter is a little excessive.


My mom about to start injecting the twinkie filling into the cake. It was just barely underdone when we took it out so it collapsed in the center a little.


After a little while of injecting. It was cool because you could see the cake bulging up around the injector while she filled the space. Some bulged out after removing the injector.

After filling the cake as much as we could we ended up adding powdered sugar and coco to the remaining filling to make it a frosting and spread it over the cake. It was really really good!

Unfortunately my son fell asleep before we could serve the cake so I guess we'll just have to try again next week... I won't say no to cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment