Sunday, January 27, 2013

Birthday At My Parents House!

My birthday is jan. 30th but since my oldest sister has a birthday on jan. 20th and my closest-to-my-age brother has a birthday on feb. 1st we decided to have cake Saturday the 26th since we'd be up with my parents. We always had a tradition on birthdays of having whatever dinner the birthday person wanted. Since as long as I can remember I've asked for shells and cheese with corn and apple sauce on the side. Mind you thats the good velveeta shells and cheese. However this year we made it from scratch.


We bought the noodles of course but the sauce is home made.


Heres my plate. I know what you're thinking, boring colors. But ever since I was little I loved these. And yes, that's creamed corn this year to shake things up. We also had the rolls (a first) which are the best rolls ever made. (in my opinion)


Heres the empty bag. We only have these on occasions because their store bought but they are so good!

Now for the 'cake' since our birthdays are so close together I started to have pudding instead of actual cake when we were kids so everyone wasn't sick of cake by my brothers birthday. One year I had mostly frozen oreo pudding on a crushed oreo crust and we used whipped cream for the 'frosting. Another we baked a cake, dug out the middle, and poured the pudding in. We chilled it then 'frosted' it with whipped cream. Another we baked a cake, crumbled it into bits, and poured it together with the pudding, spread it out in 13X9 and let it chill, then topped it with whipped cream. The cake absorbed most of the moisture from the pudding and turned solid again but it was still super creamy.

This year mom made a gram cracker crust, made homemade vanilla pudding and added peanut butter. She spread out the gram cracker crust in a 13X9 then poured over the peanut butter pudding and chilled it. Then we topped it with whipped cream.

Another tradition we have is that my mom collected numerous cake decorations from caked she bought when we were real young and every year we get to rummage through the plastic crate she keeps them in and decorate our own cake with those little plastic figurines. Theres trees, ballerinas, balloons, snow flakes, clowns, and so much more.


Here I am with my shirtless son decorating my 'cake' with some trees, snow flakes, and colored sprinkled.


And here he is licking the cake... Halfway through decorating he simply bent over and started licking the whipped cream. He didn't ever try to use hands.


And here I am while my family sings happy birthday, holding my son back from licking the cake. Don't worry, we gave him that corner. 

And in case you're wondering, his shirt is off because he was going to be eating cake... and helping decorate it. We just didn't want him to get pudding or whipped cream all over his shirt.

So that was it. The food was yummy, the cake was yummy, and we all had a good day.






No comments:

Post a Comment